Rosacea Treatment from Dermatologists in Coral Gables, Florida
What is Rosacea?
Rosacea is a skin condition characterized by small red bumps and discoloration that appears like blushing when you’re not. A surprising number of people suffer from rosacea or a similar skin condition that affects their appearance and self-confidence. The good news is that there are various treatment options to control the effects of rosacea to help you begin feeling and looking better.
What causes Rosacea?
Physicians don’t currently know exactly what is behind the skin condition rosacea. There are some factors that are believed to contribute to causing it, including:
- Genetics – rosacea tends to run in families
- Bacteria – certain bacteria found naturally in your gut can increase your digestive hormones and cause your skin to redden
- Mites – tiny insects live on your skin that are harmless unless they appear in excessive quantities, which can cause skin irritation
- Sun damage – excessive sun exposure (and the sun damage that results) can sometimes cause the facial blood vessels to expand and appear more visible through your skin
Additionally, there are a number of known triggers for rosacea, which may cause symptoms to flare up, including:
- Very hot or very cold weather
- Spicy food
- Excessive sun exposure
What are the symptoms of rosacea?
The most common symptom you will notice if you suffer from rosacea is a blushing in your cheeks; however, other symptoms can occur. Visit one of our experienced rosacea doctors at the Florida Academic Dermatology Center if you experience any of the following rosacea symptoms:
- Nose swelling
- Enlarged pores
- Eyelid bumps or swelling
- Trouble seeing
- Rough skin texture
Rosacea is most commonly experienced in the following areas:
Physicians often recommend keeping a diary of your symptoms, noting when they occur and what triggers may have caused the symptoms to flare up. If you do take note of your symptoms, bring this with you to your appointment to help your doctor diagnose your condition and offer treatment options.
How is rosacea diagnosed?
At Florida Academic Dermatology Center our experienced physicians can conduct one or a combination of the following during a simple office visit to help diagnose your skin condition:
- Physical examination – involves your rosacea doctor looking for physical signs of rosacea, like enlarged blood vessels beneath the facial skin
- Symptom evaluation – includes the dermatologist asking you questions about your physical symptoms, how long you have experienced them, and what triggers the symptoms (if known)
- Medical history evaluation – includes your skin doctor asking you questions about your past health issues that may relate to possible skin conditions
How is rosacea treated?
There is currently no specific cure for rosacea, but the symptoms of the condition can be managed with proper treatment and care from a dermatologist. Some of the rosacea treatment options your doctor might recommend include:
- Avoiding stress and other triggers
- Using sunscreen and moisturizers
- Taking certain medications
- Using topical creams and gels
- Undergoing laser rosacea treatment
At the Florida Academic Dermatology Center, we can provide a number of cosmetic skincare treatments that directly address concerns associated with skin conditions like rosacea, improving the look and feel of your skin.
If you are experiencing symptoms of rosacea, visit the Florida Academic Dermatology Center, a dermatology and research clinic dedicated to offering the best rosacea treatment options. Our state-of-the-art facility provides compassionate medical care using world-class, cutting-edge treatments. Call us today at (305) 324-2110 or fill out the form on this page to request an appointment.