Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis) Treatment in Coral Gables, Florida
If you believe you have eczema, do not hesitate to call (305) 324-2110 and schedule a consultation at our Coral Gables office! At the Florida Academic Dermatology Center, our knowledgeable dermatology team can answer any questions you have, help you determine whether you are a candidate for treatment, and use the latest treatment techniques for your situation!
What is Eczema?
Eczema is a skin condition characterized by irritation or inflammation of the skin’s surface. Eczema affects about 3% of the United States population. Flare-ups from eczema can be extremely bothersome and affect a person’s everyday quality of life. Fortunately, the symptoms associated with eczema can be managed by a dermatologist.
What are the Different Types of Eczema?
While there are numerous types of eczema that can occur, the most common types include:
- Atopic eczema / atopic dermatitis – the most common type of eczema, which typically occurs in the creases of your elbows or knees and usually begins during childhood
- Neurodermatitis – can be triggered by stress and appears as thick, itchy, scaly patches, similar to atopic eczema
- Contact dermatitis – occurs when your skin reacts to substances that your skin comes into contact with
- Hand eczema – affects only hands and often is irritated by chemicals used during work
- Dyshidrotic eczema – characterized by small blisters on the hands or feet and is most common in women
- Stasis dermatitis – caused by leaking fluid from your veins and is characterized by redness, pain, and itching
What Causes Eczema?
There is no known cause of eczema, but many believe that there is a link between this skin condition and the immune system’s response. Commonly, eczema is seen in families with a history of allergies, asthma, and other immune system or skin problems.
The list below includes common irritants that can cause those suffering from eczema to experience rashes, itchiness and other common symptoms of eczema:
- Hot or cold temperatures
- Certain soaps or detergents
- Animal dander
- Upper respiratory infections
- Rough materials in clothing or bedding
What are the Symptoms of Eczema?
Visit one of our experienced eczema doctors at the Florida Academic Dermatology Center if you experience any of the following eczema symptoms on the skin’s surface:
Eczema can affect various parts of the body, with common problem areas including:
- Skin creases
How is Eczema Diagnosed?
Currently, there is no specific eczema test that can determine whether a person has the skin condition. Instead, our experienced dermatologists at the Florida Academic Dermatology Center can help make an accurate diagnosis of eczema using the following methods:
- Physical exam – involves your skin doctor examining your skin, looking for redness, discoloration, and other signs of eczema
- Medical history evaluation – includes an eczema doctor (dermatologist) asking you questions about your past skin conditions, reactions to certain materials, and other relevant medical problems
- Evaluation of symptoms – involves your physician asking you about your past and current symptoms
Because eczema often occurs in patients who also have an allergy, your physician may also recommend skin allergy testing. This can help determine which, if any, allergens are triggering your eczema to flare up and what things you should stay away from.
How is Eczema Treated?
The biggest concern with eczema is itching and irritation, which can lead to worsened skin conditions and even skin infection when left untreated. Eczema treatment often consists of a personalized skin management plan that your doctor can tailor to your needs. Some of the eczema / atopic dermatitis treatment options we may recommend or prescribe at the Florida Academic Dermatology Center include:
- Cold compresses
- Certain moisturizing creams
- Hydrocortisone cream
- Prescription anti-inflammatory cream
- Topical immunomodulators (TIMs)
- Antibiotics (when an infection is present)
- Light therapy
At the Florida Academic Dermatology Center, we also offer a number of cosmetic skincare treatments to help reduce the bothersome symptoms related to eczema as well as to improve the look and feel of your skin.
What Our Patients Have to Say
“I visited Dr. Don this week. My visit was excellent. The office runs very smoothly. Dr. Don was very approachable and took his time to obtain my history and to assess my medical problem. He is very down to earth with great bedside manners. Definitely will come back to see him and recommend him.” -Healthgrades.com
Speak With Our Coral Gables Office For Eczema Treatment!
If you are experiencing symptoms of eczema, visit the Florida Academic Dermatology Center, a dermatology and research clinic dedicated to offering the best eczema treatment options, including treatment for facial eczema and severe eczema. Our state-of-the-art facility provides compassionate medical care using world-class, cutting-edge treatments. Call us today at (305) 324-2110 or fill out the form on this page to request an appointment.