Prevent Skin Cancer – Even in the Winter
While many patients think of skin cancer caused by the strong summer sun, even patients in the Coral Gables, FL area can also increase their risk of cancer during the exposure that happens during the winter months. Preventing skin cancer requires patients to be diligent about protecting their skin year-round, even when the cooler months begin. Patients should always wear sunscreen daily, and should practice good habits in protecting the skin at all times. Dr. Francisco Kerdel and his team at Florida Academic Dermatology Center work with patients in the area to help them understand the extra steps they can take to protect the skin from skin cancer even in the winter!
What are some winter skin cancer prevention recommendations for patients?
Below are a few of the recommendations Dr. Francisco Kerdel and his associates may recommend when it comes to protection of the skin from cancer risk:
- Utilize SPF 30 or higher sunblock every day on exposed skin
- Use a sunscreen with a moisturizer such as glycerin and lanolin
- Wear a lip balm when outdoors with an SPF of 15 or higher
- Cover the head with a hat to protect the scalp and maintain warmth
- Wear sunglasses that have UV protection and wrapround frames to protect the eyes and sensitive skin around them
- Reapply high SPF sunscreen every two hours when outdoors for extended periods of time
- Keep the skin hydrated by drinking plenty of water and moisturizing the skin each day
- Be aware of times of the day where UV rays are at their strongest, between the times of 10am and 4pm
- Consider the reflection of UV rays from snow and water that can increase the risk of sunburn
- Visit the dermatologist for an evaluation if you spot a new growth or lesion
- Schedule regular, annual skin cancer screenings with a dermatologist to monitor skin health
- Be aware of the time spent outdoors and make adjustments in your routine if you are worried about increased risks of cancer
Contact Florida Academic Dermatology Center today!
Call (305) 324-2110 to request an appointment with Dr. Francisco Kerdel and associates in Coral Gables, FL. Our office is located at 475 Biltmore Way, Suite #207 and accepts new and returning patients.