What triggers eczema?
Eczema is a chronic skin condition that can be extremely bothersome for Coral Gables, FL patients. At the Florida Academic Dermatology Center, we work routinely with men and women who have eczema and help them determine the best way to control their skin disorder.
What is eczema?
Eczema is a common skin disorder that results in the development of red, itchy, and inflamed skin on various areas of the body. Eczema can range from mild to severe, and may occur on the body at any point in time. It is believed that eczema impacts almost one-third of all people in the United States. While not curable, most patients can determine what triggers their eczema flare-ups and avoid the triggers whenever possible.
What triggers are known for causing eczema flare-ups?
There are various reasons why a patient may develop a flare-up of their eczema. Below are some of the more common environmental factors that can contribute to eczema problems:
- Irritants in detergents, shampoos, disinfectants, and cosmetic products
- Allergens around the house, including pets, dust mites, mold, and pollen
- Microbes such as certain fungi, bacteria, or viruses
- Extreme temperatures, including very hot or very cold weather
- Extreme changes in humidity, either high or low
- Perspiration from exercise
- Certain foods, including dairy, eggs, nuts, soy, and wheat products
- Increased and sustained levels of stress that can cause symptoms to worsen
- Hormonal changes, including certain times during the menstrual cycle, puberty, or during pregnancy
Patients are often advised to keep a journal of foods they eat, activities they participate in, and products they use to find a pattern when eczema flare-ups occur. This helps patients find the culprit to their flare-ups and start taking action to improve the health of their skin.
Call Florida Academic Dermatology Center today to discuss your eczema flare-ups
For many of our patients, understanding how their eczema responds to certain triggers is the best way to monitor the severity of their condition while reducing the amount of flare-ups they experience throughout their lifespan. Dr. Francisco Kerdel and his associates in Coral Gables, FL encourage patients to work with them to find the triggers to their eczema and take control of this chronic condition. Call (305) 324-2110 to schedule an appointment at 475 Biltmore Way, Suite 207. We are always accepting new patients and families into our practice.