How PRP Injection Therapy Can Help With Hair Loss
Research has shown that PRP (platelet rich plasma) injections are simple, cost effective, easy and convenient treatment options for hair loss. Study participants reported high overall satisfaction after undergoing PRP treatment.
What is PRP Therapy?
PRP therapy is a form of regenerative medicine that’s based on evidence that our bodies can heal themselves when these powers are harnessed properly. For PRP, small amounts of blood from the person are processed and used in the treatment.
The Benefits of PRP Injections for Hair Loss
The many benefits of this approach to healing include:
- Natural Looking Results: PRP therapy offers extremely natural looking end results since your own natural hair follicles are being treated to regrow hair.
- All Natural: Since PRP is made from your own blood, it’s all-natural.
- Low Risk: The risk of an adverse reaction is slim to none because the PRP solution has no foreign substances. Other hair loss treatments that use topical chemicals or medications run the risk that you’ll have an adverse reaction.
- Minor Side Effects: The side effects after PRP injections, which clear up quickly, include minimal pain, redness and pinpoint bleeding.
- Minimal downtime: After you have a PRP therapy session, you can immediately return to your normal routine. Other hair loss treatments, such as hair transplants, can involve longer recovery times.
Who Makes a Good Candidate for PRP Therapy for Hair Loss?
PRP therapy for hair loss is well-suited to just about anyone who wants to regrow hair. The PRP injected directly into the scalp stimulates the natural hair follicles to grow hair. Specifically, two types of hair loss patients benefit greatly from PRP treatments: people who have weak or thinning hair on the scalp where functioning hair follicles still exist, and those with alopecia areata.
What's the PRP Process like?
The PRP process is a few simple steps:
- A small amount of your blood is drawn.
- Your blood is placed in a centrifuge machine.
- The centrifuge spins your blood to separate its components.
- The platelets containing natural growth factors are injected into the scalp areas where your hair is weak or thinning.
After the procedure, the treatment begins working right away to restore lost hair, including new hair growth and thicker hair.
Is PRP Therapy for Hair Loss Painful?
PRP hair restoration treatment isn’t painful. During the PRP procedure, a numbing cream is applied to the targeted area that numbs it. After the cream completely anesthetizes the targeted area, your doctor injects the PRP into the scalp using a microneedle. It’s a safe procedure where you won’t experience any discomfort.
Other Ways PRP Therapy Can Help You
PRP therapy is used to treat both medical and cosmetic issues.
- Medical: PRP injections have been proven to improve the function and decrease joint pain for the shoulder, wrist, elbow, hip, knee, and ankle, as well as for osteoarthritis. It can also play an important role in wound and soft tissue healing.
- Cosmetic: PRP injections are effectively used for skin rejuvenation in the face, neck, chest area and other parts of the body where skin is dry or has a crepe-like texture. PRP can help smooth wrinkles, minimize scars, stimulate collagen production and provide a more youthful-looking appearance.
When you’re considering PRP therapy for hair loss, contact Florida Academic Dermatology Center for a consultation. We’re a dermatology and research clinic dedicated to offering the best PRP therapy options for hair loss. Our state-of-the-art facility provides high quality care using premium, cutting-edge treatments. Call us today at (305) 324-2110 or fill out the form on this page to request an appointment.